Monday, September 17, 2012

Being a diabetic I'm always concerned with my feet.  I'm always looking at my feet and looking at articles online regarding the care of.  I think I am overly sensitive due to the complications my mother faced with her feet and ultimately loosing 1/2 a foot.  I have my doctor check my feet every 6 months as diabetics should.  So far so good. 


Thought this was worth saving.  Found this article on KLS.com.  A nurse from SLC wrote this. 

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=1009&sid=17218013

shutterstock_dry-feet.jpg








Treating cracked heels and blackened feet





An easy six-step solution:
  1. Put shaving cream on your feet.
  2. In a bucket or sink, combine equal parts warm water and Listerine.
  3. Soak a small hand towel in the solution of water and Listerine.
  4. While the shaving cream is still on your feet wrap the wet hand towel around your feet and let it sit for 30 minutes.
  5. After 30 minutes, use the towel to rub your feet. Some of the calloused and discolored skin will rub off.
  6. Apply a healthy amount of lotion to your feet.
After your foot bath, is it a good idea to spend at least 5 minutes drying your feet. You want to make sure you do not put your socks and shoes on with your feet
still wet or damp (this can cause bacteria growth and infection). Use a towel to pat your feet dry and be sure to get in between the toes.
Also, give your feet a break from sandals (don't wear them every day) and apply lotion to your heels nightly to reduce cracking.

No comments: